Sunday, January 18, 2009

Butterfly Garden

This is a continuation of the trip we took in August 2008









I never got around to posting about our day at the Butterfly Gardens in Canada.


The Butterfly garden was in a large, barn shaped building with a glass roof. The building was filled with flowering trees and plants that provided food and shelter for thousands of butterflies.

They bring in thousands of tropical butterfly chrysalis and hatch them out.

It was hot and humid inside like a tropical rainforest. Misters kept the moisture in the air very high.

There were colorful butterflies fluttering by everywhere we looked. I tried to get pictures of them flying, but they were too quick to get a good picture. I did get a few pictures of them as they rested on trees.

The upward turning pitcher plant is about 8 inches long! I didn't know they were that big!

The big hanging bells were about 12-15 feet long.


The brown butterflies with "eyes" on the side were brilliant florescent blue inside. I tried to get a picture of them when they were open, but the picture just turned out brown. It didn't capture the florescence! They were fruit loving butterflies feasting on bananas.

The pink flowers in the flamingo picture are also shown in closeup. They were very brilliant and fluffy looking.


2 comments:

Amber / fluzzy said...

So beautiful!

Unknown said...

I enjoy looking at your beatiful pictures, thanks for posting! =)